Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day 4: Family Friends and New Experiences

Well, g'day mates! If you've stuck with me this long, kudos to you, your attention is appreciated. I am writing this at the end of what has been a day full of unique experience. Allow me to elaborate.

We started out the day by visiting Lawson Angus Ranch, where Harry Lawson gave us an overview of his operation and how they have made use of American genetics in the recent past to facilitate genetic progress in their seedstock herd. I've mentioned before in this blog that our family has been in business with the Lawson's for several years now, which has made this one of my most anticipated stops on this trip. Apart from the presentation, Harry and I had a great conversation about our respective operations and even the potential of me coming back out to tour their various set-ups located throughout Australia. I suppose that will be something to think about in the future!

Harry Lawson discussing the principle his operation is based upon.

Our next stop for the day was a Hereford and sheep operation just about an hour an a half outside the town of Albury. This operation was unlike anything I'd ever seen before (and not necessarily in a good way). After coming straight from Lawson's, who have a very stringent and goal-oriented breeding program, this Hereford operation had nothing of the sort. To put it kindly, this was a very "passive" way of producing cattle. At some point in the discussion, someone within our group touched on the Gardiner influence the Lawson operation. After a bit of discussion, the manager mentioned how "the Gardiner's have a lot to answer for" in regards to the recessive defects traced back to 1680, while unbeknown to him I was standing right there. Our dear chaperon, Scott Schaake, was kind enough to direct him to me for "answers." Regardless of what our host took away from his and my discussion, it was a good experience in dealing with managers who might not fully understand the facts behind genetic recessives.

From there we moved on to our overnight lodging in Albury, New South Wales. After a rather mediocre steak at a local restauarant (see previous entry for definition of "mediocre"), a group of us enjoyed a night out on the town. From there we came back to the hotel, and alas, here I am reporting it all to you.

So, with that, I invite everyone to keep an eye open for my next entry (no telling when that might be). Until next time, this is Grant Gardiner signing out.



No comments:

Post a Comment